Here are some of the home maintenance tips which needs to cater during the monsoon season.
1. Don’t renovate home: In the monsoon season, it is best to avoid renovation work like painting walls and waterproofing. If you detect a renovation issue during the rainy season, get professional help to fix it.
2. Ventilate your home: Air conditioners and dehumidifiers will help reduce humidity levels inside your house. Also, to beat the musty smell, place potpourri in glass, ceramic or metal containers with a dab of essential oil. Scented candles are also good options.
3. Maintain wooden flooring: If you have wooden flooring, ensure that they are free from moisture and properly waxed (polished). This is important since the moisture content in hardwood floors tend to make them warp. Also, place sturdy, washable rubber mats on entry points of the house.
4. Carpet care: Carpets need to be vacuumed regularly with cleaners to take away not only the dirt but also the moisture that seeps into the fiber and causes a musty smell. Rugs should be rolled up and wrapped properly in polyethylene sheets in the rainy season.
5. Termite control: Termite infestation is a major problem where water leakage or high humidity exists. As the rainwater creates moisture, check all damp places to find out termite invasion in the house and call pest control to get rid of them.
Source: htcity July 18, pg.3