Laka Competition 2018: “Architecture that Reacts”
Laka invites designers from around the world to submit their ideas of ‘architecture that reacts.’
Laka is a non-profit organization and an international network focused on positive social impact through responsible design and architecture. The beliefs in the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration and in the potential of creative ideas are the core values of the programs and projects that Laka implements.
About Laka’s Programs and Projects
Laka develops projects and programs that underline the crucial role of architecture and technology in the process of positive social change and development.
- Laka Competition is an international annual competition that seeks innovative ideas in architecture, design, and technology that are capable of reacting and dynamically adjusting to the conditions of the environment (either natural, social, or built).
- ‘Laka Perspectives’ is an award-winning annual publication (first published in January 2018) featuring interviews with the leaders in architecture, urban planning, computational design, digital fabrication, smart materials, mobility, biomimicry, and more.
- Laka Accelerator is an international program that aims to offer opportunities for investigation of the best designs by providing professional consulting and international press coverage.
About Laka Competition 2018 “Architecture that Reacts”
Laka invites designers from around the world to submit their ideas of ‘architecture that reacts.’ The main focus of the competition is on the solutions that develop through a process of changes and adjustments. The subject of the competition is architectural, design, or technological solutions that are capable of dynamic interaction with their surroundings. https://lakareacts.com/competition-2018/
The participants are free to decide the project’s location, scale, size, and program. Listed below are some highlighted issues that the jury will pay attention to:
- a properly indicated architectural, social, or environmental issue to solve
- an accurate analysis of the selected issue
- a properly chosen solution that “reacts” to the indicated issue
Three main prizes and approximately ten honorable mentions will be selected.
1) Laureates of the main prizes will be
● awarded 1000 USD per team and
● invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2.
2) Laureates of the main prizes and honorable mentions will be
● provided with feedback on their designs by selected experts from the Laka Accelerator,
● presented on Laka’s websites and promoted among Laka’s network of partners, and
● included in future Laka publications related to the competition.
Laureates of the main prizes will be invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2 among such leaders as Toyo Ito (Laureate of the Pritzker Prize 2013 and UIA Gold Medal in 2017, Founder of Toyo Ito & Associates), Carlo Ratti (Director of the Senseable City Lab at MIT, Founder of Carlo Ratti Associati), Peter Kuczia (Founder of Kuczia Architects), Elizabeth Monoian and Robert Ferry (Founding Partners of Land Art Generator Initiative), and Kamil Łabanowicz (Team Leader at AUDI AG).
● Registration opens in April 2018
● Early Registration (April 1st–June 1st): 50 USD
● Regular Registration (June 2nd–October 1st): 75 USD
● Late Registration (October 2nd–November 1st): 100 USD
● Project submission deadline: November 2nd, 2018
● Jury deliberation: November, 2018
● Winners’ announcement: December 1st, 2018
UTC time zone for all dates.
For information about the competition, please contact Laka: firstname.lastname@example.orgParticipate