ECO SHORE – Open Architectural and Town Planning Competition
Eco Shore – The Open Architectural and Town-planning Competition “The Activation of the Kazan City Urban Functions in the Water Area of the Volga Bend”
The Organizer of the Competition
The Competition is organized by the Union of Moscow Architects and the Union of Architects of the Republic of Tatarstan. The event is supported by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Tatarstan, the Administration of Kazan and the Committee for Architecture and Urban Planning of Moscow.
The Competition takes place in frames of the “Eco Shore 2018” International Festival.
Eco Shore 2018 Brief
In modern conditions of the economic, urban and environmental challenges the aim of the Competition is to develop innovative ideas for reorganization and reclamation of the urban riverside spaces including the solution of some particular tasks. Among them are the following objects:
* modern ecological, town-planning, architectural and designing development of the riverside territory in the water area of the Volga bend from the Kazan River Port to the Kirov Bridge;
* creation of the full-fledged public, cultural, sports and recreational environment;
* drawing attention of governmental, municipal and public institutions to the development prospects of the Volga embankment territory;
* comprehensive development of water tourism and creation of its infrastructure;
* promotion of the active life-style;
* promotion of innovative technologies in process of the riverside territories development;
* drawing attention of investors, planners, building companies and producers of materials, goods and technologies to the prospects and new ideas for the riverside spaces development.
In the light of these tasks, the problems of recreation and leisure in the immediate vicinity of the coastlines are the most acute and topical, since the coastal areas are the main and indispensable value of the city, its inhabitants, tourists and business.
The Competition is arranged in order to get a conceptual, structural and functional spatial organization of the territory in the water area of the Volga bend by using an equitable creative contest. The new spaces should include a developed recreational component and be rich of public, tourist and cultural-sports functions.
The Competition is open.
Professionally qualified (graduated) architects and authors’ teams (including architects, town-planners, designers of the architectural environment), who had accepted the Competition programme and terms for participation, paid the Registration Fee and were registered as Competitors, can participate in the Competition.
The Competition Participants get the right to take part in all events being held in frames of the “Eco Shore 2018” Festival.
The Aim and Objectives of the Competition
The aim of the Competition is to develop a concept of structural, functional and spatial organization of the territory.
Tasks of the Competition Participants
1. To rehabilitate the territory within the boundaries of the Project, forming a well-organized embankment with diversified approaches to water.
2. To ensure the functionality of the embankment by producing public spaces, taking into account their seasonal use.
3. To organize a communication between the coastal zone and city center, paying special attention to the intersection with the railway tracks.
4. To propose actions in order to preserve and renew historical, cultural and natural-recreational sites.
5. To provide for measures in order to improve the environmental situation and make the territory more healthy.
First Prize – 300 000 rubles (includes all applicable taxes),
Second Prize – 200 000 rubles (includes all applicable taxes),
Two Third Prizes – 100 000 rubles each (include all applicable taxes).
The author’s team (author), who won the 1st place as the result of the Competition, receives the prior right to participate in the further implementation of the Design according to additionally agreed terms.
The Competition Jury and Organizers have a right to adjudge Special Prizes for some individual achievements and apt solutions.
The Competition Promoters have a right to adjudge their own prizes and awards.
The awarded designs will be published in mass-media, which act as information partners of the “Eco Shore 2018” Festival.
The Jury evaluates the Competition Bids in accordance with the following criteria (the list of criteria does not have a given priority):
* disclosure of the advantages of the Project area location and its special features;
* compliance with the terms of Technical Requirements Specification;
* reasoning of planning solutions and functional connections, general
balance and effectiveness of interaction between individual zones;
* comfort and quality of the urban environment, the interaction between people and development of horizontal links;
* originality of the traffic scheme in combination with its economic and project expediency;
* providing pedestrian, bicycle and visual connections;
* minimization of environmental impact, preservation and development of landscape special features;
* taking into account climatic parameters; disclosure of the public spaces potential in the cold season;
* reasoning of solutions on the prospective development of the competitive territory;
* compliance with the applicable Russian and Kazan regulations as well as the rules for design and construction;
* economic feasibility of the proposed concept.
Registration of the Participants is conducted until August 17, 2018 by filling out the registration form and confirming the payment through – https://ecobereg.ru/en/contests/eco-shore-kazan-2018/
The Competitor’s registration fee is: 80 EUR for one Competition project (2 panels).
Deadlines for Competition Projects Delivery
Publication of the Competition Programme and Terms – July 09, 2018.
Deadline for the Competitors’ registration – August 17, 2018.
Participants’ questions – up to August 20, 2018.
Answers to Participants – up to August 21, 2018.
Deadline for the Competition projects delivery – September 21, 2018.
Opening of the Competition projects Exhibition – October 04, 2018.
Jury meeting – October 04, 2018.
Adjudication and announcement of the Competition results – October 06, 2018.Participate